Wednesday 21 August 2013

The Secret Ingredient Gluten-Free Choc Chip Cookies


A couple of weekends ago, we went to visit my wonderful friend Eilish, the one who makes those glorious cakes. On her kitchen table she had a plate of choc chip cookies, all ready and waiting for us.

"Have one", she offered, seeing my eyes bulging, "they're gluten-free".


I took a bite into what was possibly the best choc chip cookie I have yet to lay lips upon: soft, syrupy, melt-in-your-mouth delicious.

Her husband, who was preparing us a coffee with his new best friend, the coffee machine, grinned broadly at my appreciative sound-effects and said "I'll give you $100 if you can guess what they're made from".

Always up for a challenge, I tried my very best to identify what I was tasting.

"Peanut butter?" I asked.

"Yes", he replied, "but that's not the secret ingredient".

"Honey", I tried again.

"Yes, but that's still not the secret".

My next few guesses were futile:

"Corn flakes?"

"Nup".

"Condensed milk?"

"Nup".

I never got to find out if he really would have given me $100 or not because at that point they both said to me "you're never going to guess".

So here is the secret:
The best choc-chip cookies I have ever tasted in my life, which happen to also be gluten free and sugar free, are made with ....



Yep, that's right, chick peas.

So after polishing off about three quarters of the cookies on the plate, I asked Eilish to email me the recipe (I hardly ever ask anyone for recipes, but I needed this one) and because it is just so good, I thought I would share it here too. So here we go:

Chick Pea Choc Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups canned chick peas, well rinsed and patted dry with a paper towel
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup + 2tbs (165g) natural peanut butter
1/4 cup (80g) honey
1 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt (if your peanut butter doesn't have salt in it)
1/2 cup (90g) choc chips



Method:

1. Preheat your oven to 175 degrees C (approx 350 degrees F)

2. Combine all ingredients except for the choc chips in a food processor and process until very smooth. Make sure there are no chunks left (if you don't have a food processor, you can use a stick blender, like I did).



3. Add the choc chips until they are mixed through.

4. Roll the mixture into balls using wet hands and place them on an oven tray lined with baking paper (this is very sticky and feels like you're making a mud pie. If you have kids - or partners - who like gooey things, this is what they have to do to earn their right to lick the bowl!)

5. Bake for about 10 mins. The balls with still be very soft when you take them out of the oven; they don't set like normal cookies.

6. Store in an airtight container for up to a week. Eat them all up immediately :D




                                        Yum Yum Yum Yum Yum!



Linking up with Amy today at simplysugarandglutenfree.com


No comments:

Post a Comment