Friday 28 March 2014

The Alphabet Weekends - F is for Fremantle


I'm writing this at the computer in the local library, Annalisa asleep beside me in her pram. I have to rush this post because I have no idea how long she will stay asleep. We've recently moved house and I have no internet access. I haven't blogged since my last edition of The Alphabet Weekends. Now we're up to 'F'. How quickly the year is passing.

Last weekend we spent the day in Fremantle for our F weekend activity. Fremantle, for those not familiar with it, is the major port city in Western Australia; the gateway through which thousands of migrants first entered Australia. It's a city that I have always felt drawn to - a touch of Europe just south of the state capital, the most isolated capital city in the world.

I love wandering down its streets and alleys, where aromas of coffee and incense float through the air. It has a strong Italian influence due to influx of migrants in the post-war period and wonderful coffee, pizza and gelato are easily found.

There is also a strong bohemian atmosphere to the city, especially on the weekends, when the famous Fremantle Markets are open. Buskers abound, live music fills the air. Every food place we enter has staff who speak with a foreign accent. The fusion of old and new, historic and alternative is exciting, fascinating, mesmerizing.

Fremantle always surprises me. Every time I visit, it opens my eyes to something new. It is a place that gives me energy and inspires me to be more creative.

But now my time on the internet here in the library is almost up, so I will let the photographs tell the rest of the story ...






With a tired baby girl in tow, we headed home on the train in the late afternoon. We really only scratched the surface of what there is to discover in this place. But they're the best kind of adventures really, aren't they, the ones that leave you with a desire to return as soon as possible to discover more.

Do you feel particularly drawn to any city or town?

Have you ever been to Fremantle? Do you have a favourite place to visit there?

And can you help me think of an activity we can do for 'G'?

No comments:

Post a Comment